Know your rights as residents! Property acquisition and the East West Link
7pm Tuesday August 5, Clifton Hill Primary School, 185 Gold Street, Clifton Hill
7pm Wednesday August 13, Flemington Community Centre, 25 Mount Alexander Road, Flemington
To residents of Clifton Hill, Collingwood, Fitzroy, Carlton and Flemington,
You are invited to a meeting convened by the Residents Against the Tunnel to enable discussion and to inform you about the various issues raised for home owners and tenants by the proposed East West Link. The discussion will cover:
- home owners notified they will be compulsory acquired
- those outside the project boundary wanting voluntary acquisition option
- those above the tunnel sections having their title rights acquired
- people wanting to have property inspections to protect,their position if there is damage during works
- people who are tenants in buildings to be acquired
There will be lawyers from major firms present to explain the legal issues and take your questions about what your rights are and what you need to do to get the right outcome for your situation.
- Download leafet: Property acquisition and the EWL – Eastern section (pdf)
The Linking Melbourne Authority has indicated it will start issuing “Notices of lntention to Acquire” in early August and will take ownership of the properties by October – although residents may be allowed to rent these back until August 2015.
It is coming to crunch time. The East West Link is coming under unprecedented criticism from all corners and is subject to two Supreme Court challenges. Contracts may not be signed by the election and the road may not be never go ahead.
However the Government is intent on ploughing ahead and will start the legal process to take homes before the required legislation has been passed.
This meeting will explain the complex situation and outline your options. Come along to find out the facts.